By Dr. Sohail Ansari.
It was in 1864 that the first telegraphic message was sent from India (Karachi) to England (London) when a telegraph connection was laid.
The Telegraph and Post Office of the city designed by Captain P. Phelps was built on McLeod Road in 1866.
The following news appeared on 17th August 1960:
‘When Pakistan obtained independence it found an immediate need for improved telegraph communication.
The old telegraph once at Karachi, built about 100 years ago, has been demolished, and on the site of the ruins a new building is growing.
Official opening took place in June last. The structure is rising in stages — as funds permit. Its foundation was laid back in 1955.
Erected in May /June 1866, the old office cost only 20,500 rupees, whereas the new one is estimated at 1.5 million rupees.’
Should this building have not been listed and saved as our heritage?